OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

10/29 Deadlifts

Tire Flips x20x2
    Deadlifts 245x5, 275x5, 315x6, 245x11
    CS db rows 50x10x5
    Neck Raise (with harness) 25x6, 25x8, 25x7

Not sure if doing deadlifts right after flipping the tire is such a smart idea... Similar to pre-exhaustion, but not so good for strength training??
    Happy I was finally able to work in a neck exercise.... hope it pays off....
    Not a whole lot of work on Deadlift days.... It just takes so much out of you.....

The week day rotation is going to be pretty messed up... Friday and Sat are pretty set with benching and squats, but Tuesday and Wednesday are going to be rotated with GPP, Deadlifting, and pressing...It's just the way thing have worked out this cycle... It may not be "ideal", but I'm not going to whine about it... Just shut up and do what I have to do....
    Last edited by no_refills; 10-30-2013 at 03:23 AM.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Shoulder. Oct30

Mil. Press. 45x15, 95x12, 105x10 135x6, 145x3
    Seated side lateral. 20x14, 25x10, 30x8

Face pull. m.band x18, x16, x16
    D shrugs. 110x8x3

I just need to commit and keep building. Trying to find the correct amount of tension and angle to stimulate my delts. Weight is not important at this point. Maybe 2 years or 3.
    Last edited by no_refills; 10-31-2013 at 08:28 AM.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Thursday Oct 31 off day

db Curls
    Foam Roll: 6" PVC
    back, quads, IT Bands, groin
    hard ball roll around glutes

Got home early today for the tricker treaters... The hard core ones anyway, 'cause it's pouring out there.... In the mean time I got in some bicep work and loosened up my lower body....

Happy Halloween to everyone....

Post Thanks / Like
    Array

I am a big fan of the 5-3-1... As far as the weak area of your bench... Wendler has great tricks for that…

Isometrics – In a power rack set the pins at the point where the sticking point is most pronounced. Then, assume the exact position you would be in for a full-range bench at that part of the lift, take an empty bar and press it against the pins gradually increasing pressure until you are exerting a maximum effort. Hold at max force for about six seconds, without changing position.

Isometronics – In a power rack position two sets of pins: at the top & bottom of your sticking point. Start with the bar on the bottom pins and press upward until it touches the upper pins. Continue this for 3-5 reps. On the last rep press the bar against the upper pins as hard as you can and hold it for approximately six seconds.

Sticking points normally occur at a transitional stage where one muscle group takes over from another. If you keep your elbows about 45 degrees (narrow grip) to your body the sequence of power is: deltoids - chest – triceps. If your keep your elbows at a 90-degree angle (wide grip) to your body the sequence is: chest - triceps.

You can try a lying deltoid raise for shoulders, and dumbbell flyes, incline presses for pecs, lying extensions & dips for tris…

For squat assistance.. Oly squats, high and low box squats, safety bar squat… and of course GMs and GHRs…

Looks like you got this… just need a lil tweaking Good luck…

I love PL… only time I ever see a real squat/bench in my gym is when a PL'r is training…

Made VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by no_refills View Post
    Thursday Oct 31 off day

db Curls
    Foam Roll: 6" PVC
    back, quads, IT Bands, groin
    hard ball roll around glutes

Got home early today for the tricker treaters... The hard core ones anyway, 'cause it's pouring out there.... In the mean time I got in some bicep work and loosened up my lower body....

Happy Halloween to everyone....
    Happy Belated Halloween to you too!

I need foam rollers (and also a lacrosse ball) to help relieve muscle tension ....
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    The Few The Proud.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Nov 1 2013 Bench 3-3-3+

Thanks for the advise Kickingbear and MG. MG I use a league ball, but I've used a lacrosse ball and it's a killer... doing the IT bands on a 6"x36" PVC pipe,, That is real pain....a good pain,, LOL

mobility warmup upper 10

Bench 45x10, 95x5, 135x10, 155x10, 185x3, 205x3, 235x9, 185x14 (first set last)
    db incl. 50x12, 50x12, 60x10, 60x10, 75x8
    bb rows 135x10x3, 165x5, 135x10
    laying db ext. 30x10-12 3 sets
    db side laying rear delt raise. 15lbs AMAP 2 sets

So I'm really trying to follow Wendler's Beyond 5-3-1 for bench, squats and deadlifts... with my shoulder workouts goings more from the advise given by M13, Mutant and Cabo.....
    The focus now is to increase the volume with the plus set followed by the "first set last" for as many reps as possible.... followed by another pushing movement 5 sets at 10+ reps and a pulling movement again 5 sets by 10+... trying to increase results from using less weight... Anything following the first 3 lifts is just icing. There may be some days where I just finish after the 3 lifts?? Depending on my energy level. Hopefully I can push myself through... The increased reps is a nice change... double of what I'm used to.... I'll keep this format going for a while and then start adding in "joker sets" in late December....

I really need a rest day following deadlifts... deadlifting takes so much out of me it requires a full day to recover... That's not always going to possible now, so I'm just going to man up and get through it,,, sometimes you just have to take on the situation and let the chips fall where they may.... Nothings ever perfect.... get used to it.... Sorry I'm kinda trying to motivate myself here... LOL... Quitting is never an option... Probably why I don't get along with a lot of people.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Array

I know exactly what your talking about needing a day off after deadlifts. When I go heavy with low volume it's not so bad but if do some high volume deadlifts it burns me out for days.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Nov 3 2013. Squats 3x3+

Squats 45x8, 105x8, 135x5,185x5, 265x3, 295x3, 335x6, 255x12
    Hanging leg raise. X10 reps x5 sets
    Prowler flu. Finished with 2 plates (per side. duh) x2 sets reverse walk squatting.

It's hard for me to explain the form on the last 2 prowler out and backs, but from a squat position, back to the prowler, with elbows raised to shoulder height you're using all quads and core to push the prowler and hold yourself up..( like pushing your car from a ditch). The last set you have a hard enough time breathing much less talking. You work yourself up to the last 2 sets with a few upper bar / lower bar sets.
    Last edited by no_refills; 11-04-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Had wrong weight posted

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Nov 5 Shoulders

I'm not doing 5-3-1 for shoulders... Just the 3 PL lifts

Scrape press w/bands 3 sets x12, sets of x10, x8, x6,
    Front raises 45x10-12x3
    laying rev db flyes 20x10x3
    Side Laterals 30x8x2, 20x12
    Shrugs bb 275x8x2
    Neck work 25lb 8-10x3

OK. I'm not posting band or machine weight, because so much matters on how you set up your bands or how your machine works....I'm working as hard as I can and that's what's important...

I'm trying to stay with the bber's format for delts. So it's an experiment in the correct weight, hitting the right angle and isolating the delts... The bands are a nice start because it keeps the shoulders under constant pressure.... laying rev. db flyes I need to up forward more to take the back out of the lift. Front raises I have to remember not to let the tension release at the bottom of the lift.... A lot of little things I need to stay focused on.....

The good new is my shoulders were screaming last nite, but there is no pain... And we flew through the workout

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Nov 6.. Deadlifts 3-3-3+

mobility warmup

Deadlift (dbl overhand) 135x5, 225x8, 275x5, 315x3, 345x3, 395x6, 315x11 (but I needed to catch wind after 7 reps. than finish with +4)
    Back Extensions with bands 10-12 reps x 5 sets (squeezing at the top really torques the back...)
    Pullups 10 reps x 4 sets (2 sets neutral grip, 2 sets overhand grip) last set 5 rep neutral, 5 reps overhand, 5 lat pulls.....

Early workout. going to see the dentist... I've had a bad toothache since Halloween. Can't eat or drink without pain. SUCKS !!! Better to workout before I see the dentist?

Love the deadlift..... Hate deadlifting for reps......
    Last edited by no_refills; 11-06-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast