Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NR 5-3-1

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Default NR 5-3-1

I don't have a lot of time before my next meet in December.... So I think my best plan would be just doing a variation of Wendler's 5-3-1..

This meet I want to focus on my raw squat number. I'm thinking 455 would be a good number for me..... Bench and deadlift I'm not to concerned about, My deadlift is really strong right now and my bench technique really needs work,,, Those lifts I'll focus more on areas of weaknesses ....

If I can get a 455 squat, Deadlift around 530-540 and consistently bench 315... my raw numbers will be solid for a strong showing in 2014.....

I did have some success alternating ME squat day with ME deadlift day, so that will be a part of my training regimen in the future....Deadlifting near failure every week just takes to big a toll on my ability to recover.

Capo/Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

I like the 5-3-1 program. whats your weight class?

VIP/Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

5-3-1 worked wonders when i was powering lifting. should help add some extra weight to your lifts. whats up with the bench technique? it took me awhile to learn to power bench now im trying to unlearn as its screwing up my chest development for bbing.
    To Die with Honor is the greatest Honor.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel14 View Post
    I like the 5-3-1 program. whats your weight class?
    90kg / 198 lbs

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by MCSS13 View Post
    5-3-1 worked wonders when i was powering lifting. should help add some extra weight to your lifts. whats up with the bench technique? it took me awhile to learn to power bench now im trying to unlearn as its screwing up my chest development for bbing.
    I don't bench with a big arch or get a lot of leg drive... I can however pull my lats back and build a small arch to shorten my stroke.. I like the bar right over my sternum and diaphragm. (it's hard to get people who don't know me to bring the bar out that far during lift off).. I drive the bar strait up, and not back to the rack. To me it feels like I'm doing more of a decline bench than a flat bench. I have to use a relatively close grip with my pinkies on the rings,, if I try and go out to my index finger it puts to much pressure on my shoulder for doing 1RM... So basically I am all triceps.....

Remember in PL'ing you wait for a press call, so there's no bouncing the bar off your chest.

Nearly all of my failures come with the bar about 1/2 way up... I keep my elbows tucked and get a pretty good initial burst off my chest. But for some reason, when the bar gets heavy instead of staying tight and finishing the lift, I'll let my elbows flair out (mainly the right elbow). I lose the connection between my triceps and driving with my back planted on the bench. Now I'm making my pectorals do must of the work... No chance,,,,,

I do a ton of weighted dips and db benching for the triceps, but what I don't do is enough reverse grip benching....It feels so awkward and I'm always thinking I'm loosing grip of the bar.... But the good part of the rev grip bench it forces you to keep those elbows tucked...

I'm not opposed to trying something new if you have any thoughts... I know we don't lift together, so it's hard to make suggestions, but I'm open....

VIP/Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

have you tried working with fat grips on a regularly or going extra heavy on the board presses if your sticking point is at the top of the lift might help push you through. other thing is depending on how big you are you may wanna bring your grip closer together by a half inch or so youll place more emphasis on your tris right out of the gate. this helped me a lot when pressing and it helped keep my elbows in tighter.
    To Die with Honor is the greatest Honor.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

So here's my 314 failed bench at 3:01

And here's my 501 deadlift at 2:03

Feel free to say what you like,,,,,,,

I think I should have got the bench and I also think the deadlift was easy,,, however, I'm not only senile, but arrogant as well..
    Last edited by no_refills; 10-24-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: removed URL been on here enough time

Capo/Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Bro I definitely see that right elbow flaring out. With better form I think you would have benched it. doesn't seem to be a strength issue. You practically had it up on your left side.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

OK. So I'm going to do a Wendler version of his 5-3-1 "First set last" with a goal to hit a last set 20-rep. We'll do this a few cycles before heading back into a more strength x2 and x1 regimen...

Bench day... Friday Oct 25th 2013...
    Max 85% of my last meet max. I'll switch to training max during the strength cycle

Bench bar X6, bar x15, 95x8, 135x10, 155x10, 175x5, 195x5, 225x10(or 12??), 175x15
    db shoulder press 40x10, 45x10, 45x10, 50x5, 40x10
    Lat pulls 100x20x3, 100x16, 100x10 drop 90x10
    scare crow SS db laterals 2 sets, light weight, 12-16 reps

When you type it.. Sure doesn't look like I did much.. This was a hard workout. A lot of squeezing for a lot of reps. I cant remember if I hit 10 or 12 reps on my 5+ set.. for being 6 days after the meet and sore most of the week, I felt pretty strong benching... I used 85% of my meet max to make sure I didn't overdo it to early and not get 5 reps..... That would be humbling.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Sat Oct 26 Squats

mobility warmup

Squats 45x5, 106x8, 145x5, 195x5, 245x5, 275x5, 315x6(5+), 245x10
    GM 135x10x5
    Ab wheel x15x3, x16, x12
    1-Leg Ext 45x AMAP x2 (45lbs x As Many As Possible x 2 sets)
    T-K-E x20

AGAIN it doesn't look like much, but once you finish the "plus set" than do the 1st set's weight for AMAP reps, and go right into 10 reps x 5 sets on erectors and 12-20 reps for 5 sets of core work. That's a ton of volume. The last 2 lifts I don't even count the reps. I'm trying to select a weight to squeeze off enough reps to make me feel the pain... Hopefully my endurance will adapt. I'm really gonna have to make sure I eat good, so I don't pussy out .....
    On the ab wheel I try and hold full extension for a 2 count.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast