Thread: what do you all think of this training/training split

Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Default what do you all think of this training/training split

Well i cant say i have much free time during the day and those darn marines take up all of the equipment at night... just a fucking sea of green pt uniforms, boils my blood but thats neither here nor there.

But anyways what i am thinking is a upper body day 1,3,5. and lower body 2,4.
    What i am considering is hitting 1 or 2 bodyparts each day and stimulating the other parts the same day. So it will look like,

Day one- Back and bi's major part that day so heavy weight etc... and chest tris shoulders work them but to a lesser extent
    Day two- Legs HEAVY hooah
    Day three- Chest tris major body part heavy etc... back bi's shoulders stimulate them so lower weight higher reps but not to exhaust them
    Day four- Legs Hypertrophy
    Day five- Back, chest, shoulders heavy, bi's tri's stimulate

feed back and critique more than welcomed

reguards TGB

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Google
    "How to Design a Damn GoodProgram, Part 1
    by Christian Thibaudeau."

It's a pretty good read. Short and to the point.

People can tell your what works for them, but it's harder to say what works for you....

You and I are probably so far apart on our capabilities, your ceiling being way up there. This is the best I can do.

Good luck, and if you're not getting the gains you want after a fair amount of time and effort, change it up........

Where else would we want our young Marines? Getting strong and blowing up their testosterone....

Stay away from the nose candy. LOL Now, that's the BEST advise I can give......

Last edited by no_refills; 05-05-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Array

sounds good, thanks for the link. very true about the marines unless there fobbits. cant say ive ever done the nose candy i just get a chuckle from the avi lol

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

For an upper/lower split, it doesn't look too bad. Honestly though, for upper/lowers, I would greatly prefer to just do four days a week.

What does "Legs hypertrophy" mean? Do you believe that you have to work a certain rep range in order to achieve growth. Growth is not about how many reps you do. There is no counter in your muscle fibers saying "Yep, he did 6 reps this set instead of 5, start growin boys!" Growth is all about time under tension... the best routine will always be the one where you start at a percentage of your rep max, progress up to your rep max and then progress beyond it. This is what makes routines like DC, HST, etc so effective. Instead of going in there and destroying your CNS half the week, you are applying enough volume and tension to grow and you are doing it consistently. Believe it or not, if you use a load you can only lift for 5 reps, you will have more reps at full fiber recruitment than if you do 12 reps with a load you can only lift for 12 reps. With the 12 RM load, you are only getting full recruitment once fatigue starts to kick in, so maybe the last few reps. With a 5 RM load, you are getting full recruitment almost right away. Full recruitment means all fibers are being recruited, so you don't have to worry about all that fast/slow twitch fiber bullshit, trying to do certain reps/sets so you can train all fibers. Just lift heavy and you'll hit all fibers.

I would do something more like the following. For the 5-8 rep sets, start day 1 with a load that is around 75-80% of your 5 RM then add 5-10 lbs each session until after the course of a few weeks, you are hitting new 5 rep PRs in everything. For the 12-15 rep sets, pick something around your 15 RM. Not a percentage but the actual 15 RM. You'll note that I put the sets and reps as a range... you have to learn to judge your performance that day so you can auto regulate volume. Some days you can obviously handle more volume, for instance if you got plenty of sleep the night before, ate a good carb meal for dinner the previous night, etc. Some days will be worse, example you are hungover, worked late the previous night, etc. Autoregulating volume is the way to go.

Day 1, Upper:

Weighted Dips or Incline Bench: 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps for the tension
    DB Bench, flies or something similar: 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps to get the metabolic work in for erk 1/2 signalling
    Bentover Rows or Cable Rows: 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps (tension)
    Machine or Chest Supported Rows: 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps (erk 1/2)
    Miltary Press, Push Press, whatever: 3-5 sets of 5-8 reps
    Lateral Raises or etc: 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps

And then the next upper day, I would swap the exercises, so if you did weighted dips the first day, do incline bench the next upper day.

This is just an example. But I've put people on this sort of a routine and had their strength go up tremendously, and these were naturals that I was dealing with.
    PRs: (raw)
    Squat - 485 lbs
    Bench - 315 lbs
    Deadlift - 635 lbs
    Total - 1435 lbs

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Awesome....totentanz...