Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: NR Training Log 013

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Sept 29 Squat / Deadlift ME

warmup:

Squats 155x3 (20 minutes of sets lo-bar, hi-bar various hand positions... All just working on form/posture)
    Deadlift 225x5x2, 275x5, 315x3, 365x3, 405x2, 455x2 (Stopped. felt a big pull in my neck, down my right arm and lat)
    Superset Leg curls with Leg Ext... 100x20, 100x18, 100x12
    T-K-E Avgx20

Foam Roll

Neck just really tighten'd on 2nd pull of 455....

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Sept 30 - Oct 5th Vacation... Misc workouts

As Archer stated in his log, I did stop by for a visit. Super guy with a good head on his shoulders.... Looked in real good shape and knows what directions he's going. Hope he hits his goals, and hope I get to lift with him someday soon....

Visited a lot of friends in IL, TN and AL. Sometimes I was able to get a little workout in whether it be a hotel gym or just pullups and dips at the local grade school... Nothing real spectacular,,,, Averaged about 250 miles/day on the bike... Wife was a real trooper.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Sun Oct. 6 Squats / DL ME

warmup

Squats bar x5, 125x10, 165x8, 205x8, 255x5x4, 305x5, 345x5, 405x FAIL (reached my capable limit...)
    45 deg back ext. with 10lb bar 12x2
    T-K-E 20x2
    Pullups 12x3

My intention was to stay light and do 255x5x5, BUT my form was awesome today... So I wanted to see how far I could go before my form broke down... My last rep with 345 I started to feel it, but my form was still good... At 405 it was just to much and instead of staying tight and strait while sitting back into my squat I tried to GM the bar to get deeper... after that it was "over and out". I failed to maintain good form in a fatigued state, so there's still much work to do ridding bad habits...However there is a silver lining in failing here.....

Vacation is over...... I'll rest up Monday and get and upper body in Tuesday, GPP Wednesday, Bench on Friday, then it's transformation mode before the Push/Pull meet.... Goal is still the same.... 1200 total 400 squat + 300 bench + 500 deadlift.... which should be a Raw record age 55-59 wt 198 in about 5 different PL federations.... Now that would be fun attempting 5 meets in 2014.....

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Tues oct 8 Upper body Dynamic Effort

Clean & Press 95x3x3, 145x3x8
    db laterals 25x10, 25x12x2
    CS db Rows 60x10, 60x12, 60x13
    Hanging leg raise x20, x13

gotta get out of this !#@!# FUNK.... thinking I may have peaked 3 weeks ago.... Still time to pull it together.......

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Keep focused buddy, you got this.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Wed 10/9

Tire Flips and Prowler

To tired to even type.......... have a nice day......

Lockjawlarry
    Online :

Quote Originally Posted by no_refills View Post
    Wed 10/9

Tire Flips and Prowler

To tired to even type.......... have a nice day......
    time for some well deserved rest man

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Before I end this log. Let me say thank you to all who have commented or read my log.

Now let me get you up to date, and please don't assume any of my reasons for failure as excuses... I have no problem with failure. If you've never failed you are either a God or you just don't try hard enough.........

Training has been so erratic the past 3 to 4 weeks. I thought I had a good plan, but between work and family issues trying to get in a good workout was next to impossible........So let's just forget the training.

As for today's push-pull (ironman) meet:
    1st event Bench:
    Opened with 125kg (275 lb) good (3 whites)
    2nd attempt 135kg (297.5 lb) good
    3rd attempt 14.5kg (314 lb) fail

I probably should have tried 137.5 (303) on my 2nd attempt so I could have hit the 300 lb milestone, but I got ahead of myself and started thinking about 315. And I honestly felt I had 315, it came off my chest strong on the press call, but old habits came back and instead of staying tight and keeping my elbows in, where my leverage is strongest, my right elbow flew out and I just don't have the strength to overcome technical errors like that....All in all the first 2 attempts were very strong, so I'm happy...

2nd event Deadlift.
    Opened with 207.5kg (457.3 lb) good
    2nd attempt 227.5 kg (501.5) good
    3rd attempt passed

This event had me nervous all week... Between not training and how tight my hamstrings had felt, I thought for sure I would fail at 400... I did hit my goal of 500. I was happy with my day's effort, so I passed on my 3rd attempt. Maybe I could have hit 535 maybe I could have popped my hamstring...who cares. I know have my numbers in place to setup a better program for Decembers meet.....

A few other things before I close...... My age of course didn't change. I'm still 55 until next month.. Next month I'm only putting 25 candles on my cake, so I'm hoping it works and I'm 25 again......

I did weigh in at 90.8 kg... 0.8 kg over. I know I've added some weight lately (intentionally), however no 2 scales read alike. Next time I'll allow myself some extra cushion.....

If anyone is interested in seeing the total meet results and you have trouble finding them just PM me for the link.

OK enough of the meet crap......

I rode my bike last week (for work) in the f*cking cold (38 F), and in the f*cking rain, from Plainfield to Elk Grove on probably the worst roads in America with some of the biggest idiots as well..... And I'm still alive. OK, it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but it had to be done. Fear is never a good excuse.... Don't get me wrong... I'm not, all of a sudden "over confident", or an expert.... BUT I do know that if I'm alert, mindful, and stay within my capabilities... I can make it..... Also, sorry to any semi I may have gotten to close to.... I try and stay in their mirrors, but sometimes the gap leaves to much room for people to cut right in, and sometimes I think the trucks just keep slowing down 'cause they want me off their ass (IDK ?_), and when the time if right I go around them..

The end.....

Hope to see you on my next log. Starting soon.....

BTW... I have one more week where getting on the PC will be almost impossible (the iphone sucks).... After that I hope to be posting and replying as a U-M member should....
    Last edited by no_refills; 10-19-2013 at 06:35 PM.

Lockjawlarry
    Online :

Quote Originally Posted by no_refills View Post
    Before I end this log. Let me say thank you to all who have commented or read my log.

Now let me get you up to date, and please don't assume any of my reasons for failure as excuses... I have no problem with failure. If you've never failed you are either a God or you just don't try hard enough.........

Training has been so erratic the past 3 to 4 weeks. I thought I had a good plan, but between work and family issues trying to get in a good workout was next to impossible........So let's just forget the training.

As for today's push-pull (ironman) meet:
    1st event Bench:
    Opened with 125kg (275 lb) good (3 whites)
    2nd attempt 135kg (297.5 lb) good
    3rd attempt 14.5kg (314 lb) fail

I probably should have tried 137.5 (303) on my 2nd attempt so I could have hit the 300 lb milestone, but I got ahead of myself and started thinking about 315. And I honestly felt I had 315, it came off my chest strong on the press call, but old habits came back and instead of staying tight and keeping my elbows in, where my leverage is strongest, my right elbow flew out and I just don't have the strength to overcome technical errors like that....All in all the first 2 attempts were very strong, so I'm happy...

2nd event Deadlift.
    Opened with 207.5kg (457.3 lb) good
    2nd attempt 227.5 kg (501.5) good
    3rd attempt passed

This event had me nervous all week... Between not training and how tight my hamstrings had felt, I thought for sure I would fail at 400... I did hit my goal of 500. I was happy with my day's effort, so I passed on my 3rd attempt. Maybe I could have hit 535 maybe I could have popped my hamstring...who cares. I know have my numbers in place to setup a better program for Decembers meet.....

A few other things before I close...... My age of course didn't change. I'm still 55 until next month.. Next month I'm only putting 25 candles on my cake, so I'm hoping it works and I'm 25 again......

I did weigh in at 90.8 kg... 0.8 kg over. I know I've added some weight lately (intentionally), however no 2 scales read alike. Next time I'll allow myself some extra cushion.....

If anyone is interested in seeing the total meet results and you have trouble finding them just PM me for the link.

OK enough of the meet crap......

I rode my bike last week (for work) in the f*cking cold (38 F), and in the f*cking rain, from Plainfield to Elk Grove on probably the worst roads in America with some of the biggest idiots as well..... And I'm still alive. OK, it wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done, but it had to be done. Fear is never a good excuse.... Don't get me wrong... I'm not, all of a sudden "over confident", or an expert.... BUT I do know that if I'm alert, mindful, and stay within my capabilities... I can make it..... Also, sorry to any semi I may have gotten to close to.... I try and stay in their mirrors, but sometimes the gap leaves to much room for people to cut right in, and sometimes I think the trucks just keep slowing down 'cause they want me off their ass (IDK ?_), and when the time if right I go around them..

The end.....

Hope to see you on my next log. Starting soon.....

BTW... I have one more week where getting on the PC will be almost impossible (the iphone sucks).... After that I hope to be posting and replying as a U-M member should....
    Thanks NR, I learned alot from this log bro, lots of new ideas for me and re-visiting some stuff I nearly forgot about. I look forward to the next one!
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Made VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

What you do at 55 is simply awesome
    A lot of young guys would not be able to compete with you N_R!
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    The Few The Proud.

• Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021