Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Specialized Strength Training (SST)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Default Specialized Strength Training (SST)

SST stands for "Specialized Strength Training". It's a hybrid training method which I devised utilizing principles from Olympic Weightlifting, Powerlifting, and Strongman. The purpose of this training regimen is to increase speed, strength, coordination, agility, and size.

I train in 8 week cycles (2, 4 week waves) where the 4th & 8th week are a deload week (light week). The deload week essentially gives my CNS a break, allowing me to recover and ready myself for the next 3 wave of work. I train using periodization (percentages) for my major movements like deadlift, squat (front & back olympic style), bench, etc. These major movements are not substituted at any time during the regimen. The percentages I use for my major movements are as follows; Week1 65/75/85%, Week 2 70/80/90%, Week 3 75/85/95%, and Week 4 40/50/60%. The rep scheme I use for my major movements are as follows; Week 1 3 sets of 5, Week 2 3 sets of 3, Week 3 1 set of 5/ 1 set of 3/ 1 set of 1, Week 4 3 sets of 5. The goal is to hit the required reps during each week. On the last set of week 1-3 if I am able to lift more reps on the last set, I do. The main thing though is to make sure I hit the required totals though. One week 4 I only adhere to the rep, set, and percentage scheme laid out because that week is for recovery. I add weight with each new wave. Once I stall 2x I recalculate my true 1RM and then recreate my percentages based on that. I wait till I stall 2x because there can be outside influences as to why you were unable to hit your require numbers that day. Perhaps you didn't sleep enough, get enough food in you that day, or any other of the many reasons.

I utilize linear progression on all assisting movements that focuses on strength, but also builds size. On all assisting movements I use a 7-5-5-3-3 rep/set scheme. On Olympic assisting movements like snatch pulls, clean pulls, etc I use a 3-3-3-3-3 rep/set scheme. The purpose is to keep proper form which helps build proper motor and neural pathways and also keep you from getting injured which easily takes place when form becomes sloppy. The assisting movements are substituted with each new 8 week cycle.

Now, onto how much rest I take in between sets. For my major movements like deadlifts, squats, bench, etc I take 3-5min of rest depending on where I am on the wave. For all assisting movements I only take 1min 30sec rest time. I also train only 4x week, training EOD. This also allows my CNS to stay fresh and not overtrain. So for training days, you could choose Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun or any other combination which fits your schedule.
    Last edited by BrotherIron; 09-16-2011 at 12:13 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

DIET

HIGH DAY:
    Carbs: 2gr per lbs bodyweight
    Protein: 1gr per lbs bodyweight
    Fats: No additional fats added this day

MED DAY:
    Carbs: 1.25gr per lbs bodyweight
    Protein: 1.25gr per lbs bodyweight
    Fats: .20gr per lbs bodyweight

LOW DAY:
    Carbs: .5gr per lbs bodyweight
    Protein: 1.5gr per lbs bodyweight
    Fats: .35gr per lbs of bodyweight

And if you want to see what MY rotation looks like, well here it is:

MON~ HIGH
    TUES~ LOW
    WED~ MED
    THUR~ LOW
    FRI~ HIGH
    SAT~ LOW
    SUN~ MED

I've had a lot of people asking me why I do my rotation like I do and why I train on certain days. Well, here's my explanation for what I do:

The "High days," is giving your body all the carbs it can handle, refilling your glycogen stores and promoting an anabolic environment. Let's say you're doing a body-part split, your legs are your weakest body part, and thus your toughest workout of the week is leg day. So you choose that as your high day for carbs. You don't need as much protein, since the extra carbs generate more insulin, which helps you get more protein into your muscles.

The "Medium days" allow you to maintain your glycogen levels with fewer total calories. You'll have enough carbs to fuel your workout and prevent tissue breakdown, but not enough to be highly anabolic.

The "Low days" are ideal for the days you do cardio only, or don't train at all. Your body, with its low insulin levels, will be primed for burning fat. With fewer carbs, you'll be eating more fat, which benefits hormone production and helps keep your body sensitive to insulin on the medium and high days.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

I'm nursing my left shoulder back from an injury.

Here are my rehab exercises and if someone has an injured shoulder due to an impingement I would give these a try b/c they helped me a great deal:

Wall Angels~ Stand against a wall. You head, shoulders, butt, elbows, and hands must be touching the wall at all times. Than make the top half of a snow angel on the wall. This will be difficult but it helps open up the shoulder girdle. Try to bring down the elbows as low as possible (lower them). Bring your arm up and touch them at the top, lower them all the time while keeping contact to the wall with the above mentioned groups.

Scapular Motions~ This is easy. It's just rolling your shoulders forward, backward, upward, and downward. You don't have to hold any of these. They should be fluid movements.

Sea Turtles~ Have you ever seen a sea turtle on tv try to dig into the sand to lay it's eggs? Its kinda like that. You lay on the ground (prone), facing down. Arms are overhead with a bend (in an arc). Your head should touching the floor (face directly forward). Now was you bring your arms back and away (do so in an arcing manner), lift your upper body and squeeze your shoulder blades. Than as you bring your arms back to the starting position, lower your face back down to the floor (relax completely).

Stick Stretch
    ~ Take a broom stick and starting in front bring it up and back where it touches your behind. Than bring it forward. That is one rep.

Scapular Hangs
    ~ Hanging in the straps, you let yourself sink (lowered) and than using your shoulder stabilizers you lift yourself up. While lifting yourself up, keep your chest high and out and back arched. Hold yourself in that position for as long as you can, than slowly lower yourself back down and than lift yourself back up.

Plank Jacks~ Get in a plank position w/ legs together. Make sure you don't let your abs slouch. Keep the back tight and arched. Also, don't slouch on your shoulders either. Keep them tight. Than do a jumping jacks in that position. Bring your arms out while keeping them bent and open you legs. Than bring them back to the starting position.

Plank Walks
    ~ Walk to the left and than back in the plank position. Than walk to the right and than back.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

I'm currently in Wave 25 Week 4 which is a deload week and so I'll start posting when I hit Wave 26 Week 1. If anyone has any questions about my training routine (SST), feel free to ask.

I do cardio/conditioning 3x week which is made up of low (treadmill), med (sled pulls), and high intensity (stadiums) cardio.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

great program! I'm wondering where you fit your rehab exercises into your routine. also, do you do them all in same workout? are there more than 1 set performed? thx in advance.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by myosaurus View Post
    great program! I'm wondering where you fit your rehab exercises into your routine. also, do you do them all in same workout? are there more than 1 set performed? thx in advance.
    Thanks. I perform 5 rehab movements 5x week. I do them at the end of my workouts and one other time on a conditioning day. I go through the 5 movements 2x for 10+ reps each. I have some which I consider staples like the stick stretch, sea turtles, and wall angels. Others like plank walks, scap hangs, etc get subbed in and out for the remaining 2 exercises.
    Last edited by BrotherIron; 05-16-2011 at 11:14 PM.

VIP/Donating Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

BI ur all over the place with these logs. I like it. Might have to post up one too.
    To Die with Honor is the greatest Honor.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by MCSS13 View Post
    BI ur all over the place with these logs. I like it. Might have to post up one too.
    lol, yeah I like to get my training regimen (SST) out there. Trying to get recognition for it. Hopefully, it'll get published some day.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    Thanks. I perform 5 rehab movements 5x week. I do them at the end of my workouts and one other time on a conditioning day. I go through the 5 movements 2x for 10+ reps each. I have some which I consider staples like the stick stretch, sea turtles, and wall angels. Others like plank walks, scap hangs, etc get subbed in and out for the remaining 2 exercises.
    awesome! thanks for the answer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Since this is a Deload Week I'm going to run a Cleanse for the next 5 days. If it goes well I'll probably run it 1x a year every year after. We get fecal matter built up and it stays there stuck which causes you bloat and other issues. I have never run a cleanse so this will be interesting. I'm intrigued to see what will happen. Obviously I chose to run it during a deload b/c I don't want to shit myself when I'm lifting heavy during my weeks 1-3.
    Last edited by BrotherIron; 05-21-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast