Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Val's Training

Femme Made Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Default Val's Training

Alrighty...my training has changed a bit. Two of my close family members are entered in a half marathon in January. So as part of their support I've been doing more running and mountain biking. (Although I just took two weeks off of all training to deal with some family trauma.)

So....I'm back 'tuit' this week as the family has taken up enough of my training time.

Monday Cardio:
    Power hike at Quabbin Reservoir
    8.1 miles in approximately 2 hours (Yes, I can walk much faster than I run!)
    Minimum elevation: 423 ft
    Maximum elevation: 840 ft
    Ascent: 646 ft
    Descent: -659 ft.

Went back on my clean diet this past Friday. Had one last stress related splurge on Thursday after getting through all the court baloney and have decided enough-is-enough when it comes to mistreating myself by not eating correctly.

I've cut my caffeine intake down to 1 or 2 cups of black coffee in the AM (Keeps my asthma in check.), and have decided to add 2-3 cups of decaffeinated green tea. I'm working to increase my water intake. The colder it gets...the less I want to drink. Not a good habit for the amount of time I like to spend out on the trails, especially on the days I run them.

Weather permitting I'm hoping to get one long hike (5+ miles), or trail run in a week; then fit shorter runs or treadmill work in between my lifting days and possibly do three miles after lifting on my non-leg days. My daughter-of-my-heart got a 10 mile run in last week...so I have some catching up to do on my long day!

Lifting is going to be light and varied for a while. Especially when it comes to leg work. I've decided not to worry about any one part/area (in other words stop stressing about my shoulders not being what I want)...but to have fun and probably experiment more with complexes.

Femme Made Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Tuesday's Training

Randy Couture style Complex:

Randy Couture Training Complex

Set 1 x 8 reps of each exercise x 45#
    Followed immediately with:
    Incline/stair push-ups x 8 reps x 45#
    Stair bb calf raises x 15 reps x 45#

Set 2 x 5 reps x 45#
    Incline/stair push-ups x 5 reps x 45#

Set 3 x 3 reps x 45#
    Incline/stair push-ups x 3 reps x 45#

Finished up with:
    Barbell curls x 3s x 8 reps x 45#
    Bent over barbell kick-backs x 3s x 15 reps x 45#

That's it. Short, sweet, and a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Valkyrie; 11-22-2010 at 08:06 AM.

Made Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

somebody has abandoned their log..hmmmmm, who might that be?

Femme Made Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Not abandoned. Just healing up from another run-in with lyme disease. I really hate that disease. Once you have had it, it can recur very easily and I was bitten again last month.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Not abandoned. Just healing up from another run-in with lyme disease. I really hate that disease. Once you have had it, it can recur very easily and I was bitten again last month.

Glad you're feeling better though.

Femme Made Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Me too. I managed to evade the anti-biotics part of things this time. But it meant staying very quiet and avoiding stress as much as possible. A bit tough for me as I really like being out pushing myself in the gym and on the trails. But that would have made the lyme bacteria spirochete reproduce faster than my body could fight them off. I learned the hard way after multiple run-ins how to slow things down so my body can fight back. I also use Cat's Claw from Rain Tree Nutrition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Cardio freak :]

Tell the viewers out there your supplement lineup, what you take pre and post WO and the amounts of each. I'm sure people would be eager to see what you are working with.

Thanks.
    HP's Steroid Guide
    http://www.united-muscle.com/showthr...-Steroid-Guide

Please read the forum rules.
    http://www.united-muscle.com/showthr...49-Board-Rules

HP is is a fictional character and therefore any information given is for entertainment purposes only.

Femme Made Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

LOL! I am indeed a cardio freak!

My usual daily supplementation. And yep, I took everything but the dietary supps on the darn trail this summer! I mixed vanilla protein powder and coconut milk powder with all of my breakfast mixes and added quinoa to many of my evening meal mixes. I dehydrated a couple bean and lentil 'stews' so I only had to add hot water to reconstitute. Gypsy and I eat a lot more protein on the trail than most backpackers as we are both avid lifters. We've found we do not do well on the high (empty crap) carb fare most backpackers rely on. And being gluten intolerant I literally cannot stomach the stuff. I (we) make a lot of my own meals with freeze-dried food and/or meats, ground golden flax, rice noodles, brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa flakes, nut butters, veggies, fruit, beans and lentils I have pre-packaged and/or pre-cooked and then dehydrated on my own. (Oh yes, Gypsy and I eat very, very well on the trail...even if it all starts out dehydrated or freeze-dried. We add our own spices and dehydrate stews or marinated meats that we normally use in our everyday cooking. We've had boy scouts and other hikers walk by and tell us how good our simmering food smelled.)

The supplement 'List':
    Krill oil - 300mg x 3 - spread through the day
    Evening primrose oil - 1,000 x 2 - mid-day/evening
    Vit E - 1,000 mg
    Resveratrol *looking for a better product...so haven't been taking this recently.
    L-lysine -500 mg

Directly related to my Hashimoto's:
    B-complex 50
    Iodine plus-2
    Adrenal adaptogen blend - changing this shortly.

Directly related to my fibromyalgia:
    L-Tyrosine - 500mg
    Cissus Quadrangularis - 1,000mg
    Hyaluronic Acid - 20mg
    Yucca Schidegera (as need basis)

Liquid multi-vitamin and mineral
    Calcium/magnesium/zinc - 1,000/500mg/50mg
    Selenium - 250 mcg
    D3 - 5,000 IU daily (and I finally tested 'normal' for D on my last bloodwork! Shows just how badly some people need their D3.)

*I am just about done reading Change Your Brain, Change Your Body and have amended the above list. I will be putting together a review of the book in the near future.

Dietary additions:
    Coconut kefir
    Coconut milk
    Coconut oil
    Greek yogurt
    Golden flax (ground)
    Chia seeds (whole or ground)
    Fenugreek extract (when my asthma really starts to drive me nuts)
    Local honey and pollen (to help keep my allergies to a minimum.)
    *Yes, my list is extensive. Please bear in mind that I live with two immune disorders and suffered some rather severe nerve damage from Lyme disease. I am not your 'normal' lifter.

Running days:
    Pre-run: Carb focused breakfast. Oatmeal/Quinoa or grits with protein, and a spoonful of coconut oil. About a tblsp.
    Post breakfast/pre-run: 2~5-Tetra tablets. An hour after eating and 45 minutes before my run.
    During the run: 1 litre bottle of something like G2 lemon-lime with a tbsp of ground chia seeds or lime juice with a bit of raw honey and the ground chia seeds. *If I'm trail running on a hot day, or more than 4 miles I also bring 1-3 more litres of water in my hydration pack with a Camelback Elixr electrolyte tab added.
    Note: I almost never use electrolytes in 'full' measure on the trail. I prefer a 'lighter' electrolyte mix unless it's really hot out.
    Post run: If I have more than a 20 minute and less than 40 minute drive home I keep an extra bottle in the car with a scoop of protein powder. I pour in 6-8 oz of whatever electrolyte solution or lime/chia mix in and sip that on the ride home so I don't get shakes.
    Meal:
    Chicken, sweet potato or quinoa, green veggie and fruit.
    *If I am running more than 40 minutes away from home I pack this up in a cooler and have it waiting for me in the car.

Hiking Days:
    Pre-hike: Same as the running days
    Post breakfast: Same as running days
    During the hike: Same as the running days for the 'liquid' part of things. In addition I carry another bottle with protein power and G2 powder to have after lunch on the long hike days.
    Meal:
    I pack a good lunch: Usually a gluten free bread or quinoa I have made with chicken, fruit, nuts, asparagus in balsamic vinegar, nut butters and oat cracker or rice crackers.
    *Gypsy and I have also been experimenting with coconut water on our day hikes. We usually have it with our lunch. We will probably be doing that more in the coming year. And we have found that powdered coconut milk with our protein powder is awesome. (You tend to 'fall in love' with anything that you can just add water to on the trail! )
    Post hike: Gypsy and I pack a dinner in our coolers and have it waiting for us when we get off the trail. I usually have a different meat waiting for me, beef, turkey or tuna with a sweet potato 'puff' that I make, and fruit.
    *The only problem with carrying so much fresh food on our long day hikes...is that when we go overnight for a couple days we really miss those meals when we pull a bag out of our packs that needs to be reconstituted with water!

*Side note: I learned the hard way one very hot July day when we were nearing the summit of Mt Greylock that it is NOT a good idea to ever 'chug' a gatorade/protein powder mix... that mix hit my very taxed system very quickly and I became extremely dizzy on a very steep incline and nearly passed out, pack and all...that would have been one hellz of a tumble from that particular spot! Sip! Sip! Sip! And oh! Did I mention?
    Just sip!

And we finally get to my lifting days!
    Pre-lift: Protein heavy breakfast, with minimal carbs and my tblsp of coconut oil.
    Post breakfast/pre-lift: 2~5-Tetra tablets. An hour after eating and 45 minutes before I lift.
    During Lifting: A 'light' G2/Protein powder mix or Lime juice, with ground chia seeds and a scoop of protein powder. Usually 16 ounces is enough.
    Post Lifting: If I'm going right home I just have my chicken, sweet potato or quinoa, green veggies, and fruit waiting for me. If for some reason I cannot get home right away I pick up a bottle of Muscle Milk to hold me over until I do get home. If for some reason I'm not going home at all...my meal will be waiting for me in the car in my cooler and I will find a quiet spot along the road to pull over and eat in peace. (Doesn't work to eat in the gym parking lot as someone always comes along and wants to chat!)

So there you have it! Val's eating and supplementation habits. Yes, it's a bit complex, I have formulated what works for me and keeps me from 'falling out' on the trails, or in the gym, over a 6 year period. I was about a year into my recovery when I realized that what worked for me in my 20's and 30's was not going to work for me in my 40's.

I went from a: "I don't need a thing except to eat something!" mentality to "boy oh boy do I need to protect this body and refuel correctly (for me) mentality." rather stubbornly to be honest. I sometimes miss the days of being able to get by with just water and a meal 'when I get around tuit'. But I sometimes wonder how taking for granted my naturally 'hot' metabolism during my 20's and 30's may have helped run my immune system into the ground by the end of my 30's.

My 'take away' message for those younger than myself would be:
    -Hydrate! And pay attention to adding at least a weak solution of electrolytes to your water on really hot days or very heavy training days.

-Eat! And not junk! You really do become 'garbage' if you eat 'garbage'. Do not take for granted a naturally lean metabolism. A thyroid condition could be lurking around the corner for you like it did with me. And try to go as organic as you can afford. Do not be afraid to add beans, lentils, and quinoa to your diet for added protein. I love quinoa in particular as it helps me not only have a good complex carb with my protein, but if your protein amount is limited like it is for me on the trail you are boosting your protein intake with good food and not a powder.
    Last edited by Valkyrie; 11-22-2010 at 08:00 AM.

Femme Made Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

*Cough* ...dusty in here!

I was injured rather badly last year, and got into trouble with Lyme Disease again...I did manage to get a bit of backpacking in once the shoulder could tolerate my pack weight.

Just getting back into the swing of things after many months of OT/PT and nothing heavier than resistance bands.

Made VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Good to see you back. Sorry to read about the injury. I look forward to reading your log again.
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.
    The Few The Proud.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast