Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh WTF ! 2016

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

This is a great log. I like how you tell why you are doing things and share your thought processes and a bit of philosophy too.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Dec 25 2015

was able to get in a very late Christmas workout.. Plus it was fun to share some stories with Snarkie.. He doesn't post much if any, but he has a young family, he works long hours, and his wife trains and needs her time.. I kinda admire how he can juggle everything..

Bench. 135 lbs. reps 3, 5, 10. multiple sets
    tricep ext. single arm and 2 hand with rope
    stiff arm pulls and Lat pulls
    reverse curls. EZ bar. 25 lb plates 8-12 reps X 4 sets

just a light workout. Not going thru the motions, but it was a long 2 days for both of us. we workout together, but he does it his way and I do mine.
    workout went like this. Set of bench than a set of triceps and/or a set of lats..
    After a few sets of 10 reps to get warm, I droppedq bench to 3-5 rep sets working on exploding the bar of my chest and bar path. Remember a powerlifting bench press and a bodybuilder bench have 2 totally different objectives. In PL it's triceps , lats, bar path with speed/explosiveness from a dead stop off the chest.. Minimizing the distance from chest to lockout. Any chest development is purely a byproduct.
    The triceps and Lat work was just the opposite. Those lifts were about using enough weight to feel or isolate the muscle. Slower pace and stronger contractions. Muscular development..
    Last edited by no_refills; 12-26-2015 at 06:37 PM.
    " When you judge another, You don't define them,
    You define yourself "..................... W. Dyer

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Dec 27 Squats

Squats (knee sleeves and belt) bar x8, 155x8x2, 245x5x2, 335x3x2, 335 +40 chains x2, 335 +80 chains xFAIL, 245 +80 chains x3
    Hip Flexors band x20x4
    T-K-E band x16x2

Breathing- get under bar, big breathe, walk bar out.. Exhale,
    get steady, big breathe pushing air in belly and core against belt, squat holding breathe keeping core tight. repeat

Why is holding your breath during the rep important? Because if you release all your air when you rise up, you're no longer pressing your core against the belt. Call me an idiot, but that's how we use a belt... Hard to learn.. I still mess up...

Dec 28th Shoulders / upper

Well I knew this would happen, my shoulders and elbows don't feel solid. (rack pulls / ego) So back to reps until they start feeling better

db shoulder press 25xAMRAP x3
    db curls 20x AMRAP x3

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Good job brother. Hope u had a great Xmas and have a happy new year

HULK SMASH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

This is a great log. Appreciate you breaking things down for us NR. Hope you have a great New Years Eve and a safe and prosperous New Year!!
    jahwah is a fictitious name used to portray a made up person for the sole purpose of entertainment. Nothing stated or suggested should be taken seriously as online boards are breeding grounds for false information. Any suggestions, advice or talk of illegal substances is fictitious and should not be taken as fact.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Thank you Jah, Mike, Archer.

Parody before I go train..

This is my weight-room. There are many like it but this one is mine. My weight-room is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life.
    My weight-room without me is useless. Without my weight-room I am useless. I must lift my weights true. I must lift harder than my opponent who is trying to beat me. I must out-lift him before he out-lifts me. I will.
    My weights and myself I know that what counts in this battle is not the reps we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the sweat we make, We know that it is the lift that counts, I will lift.
    Me weight-room is human even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn it's weakness. its strength, its lifts, its accessories. Its plates and its bars. I will keep my weight-room clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will.
    Before God I swear this creed. My weights and I are defenders of my rack. We are masters of my opponents. We are the saviors of my life.
    So be it until victory is mine and there are no opponents, but Peace!

OK I'm jacked up now..... Love it when I clean up and see the old stuff I come across......

Bigun, we read and copy 1000's of routines.. I try not to bore anyone, but there are parts that work for me because of various reasons, Genetics, age, injuries. They may not help someone else. Adding my intentions helps fill in the blanks
    Last edited by no_refills; 01-01-2016 at 11:44 PM.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Jan. 1, 2016. Bench

best workout of the year.. No joke

clean with Oh press. 95x3x4
    clean w/ single OH press. 145x3x8. Press only 1st rep of set
    bench. 135x10x2, 185x8, 225x4, 245x1.. Might have hit 275, but why?
    TRX push-ups. X25. Rubbing on arms is annoying. Need to stay close.

timed sets
    CSDB row x5 sets
    v-handle triX. X5 sets

i really enjoy timed sets.. I can use lighter weight get more reps and shot for a minimum of 60 seconds. As the weight increases the reps slow down but The goal remains at least 60 sec. When I could only reach around 30 seconds the lift was over. The good news is I stopped feeling pumped but not fatigued / flat. Need to research this style more for optimum results.
    The Bench workout was nice because the bar path is where I don't feel pain.. Cleans worked well because I was able to keep my arms limp while putting the explosive part of the lift on the lats and shoulder girdle from the hang position thru the lift..not on the elbows.. Just good execution and form the whole night.. Love it. Nothing wrong with fighting the weight. It will make you strong. There's no better feeling than executing the lift.. A real confidence builder.

Happy New Year brothers..
    Last edited by no_refills; 01-01-2016 at 11:40 PM.

OG VET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Jan 2, '16. Squats

went and trained with a different crew today. Was fun.

squats. 65# bulldog bar + 5# collars.. Raw
    barx5, 165x5x2, 255x5x2, 305x3, 345x3, 375x1
    box squats w/ chains. 255+80 ch x8, 255+120ch x5, 255+120 ch x5 drop chains 255x10 (drop set)
    615 10 second lockout (1/4 squat).. Just to see what the bigger boys were feeling.. Earned some credibility too..

pullups. 10x4

always motivating getting together with a different crew..mindset is 110%. Especially with mainly 20 and 30 year olds.. No chance I have to stay with them, but not one moan about stripping the bar down for me.. Failure or quitting is not an option, but my legs were cramping the whole ride home.

VIP Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Hey brother. Great job. I think its always awesome to workout with people younger. It also keeps you young. I see this at the academy all the time. I get PT days at least 2 times a week. Lots of push ups, towers, running, dips, obstacle course, burpies, ect. I got 15 - 20 years on most of these guys and my goal is to keep up. Most of the days I get smoked tho lol. Keep up the strong work.

HULK SMASH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by no_refills View Post
    Jan 2, '16. Squats

615 10 second lockout (1/4 squat).. Just to see what the bigger boys were feeling.. Earned some credibility too..
    Big weight.... like smashing that img in my mind :-)
    jahwah is a fictitious name used to portray a made up person for the sole purpose of entertainment. Nothing stated or suggested should be taken seriously as online boards are breeding grounds for false information. Any suggestions, advice or talk of illegal substances is fictitious and should not be taken as fact.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast